**This excerpt is directly copied from a PENC booklet I was given titled New Teacher Guide. I am terrified I’ll lose the copy I have of this pamphlet and really wanted to share this advice with others.**
- Bring an appointment calender.
- Create a personal survival kit, including a sewing kit, safety pins, breath mints, etc.
- Visualize yourself going through the first day and make sure you have everything you need.
Get to know your surroundings
- Become familiar with the school building and grounds.
- Visit the school website.
- Review school policies and procedures.
- Befriend school support staff.
- Introduce yourself to other teachers in your grade level and subject area.
Prepare your classroom
- Ready bulletin boards to display student work.
- Arrange desks.
- Obtain student supplies such as textbooks and workbooks.
- Obtain teacher supplies such as pens, stapler, paper clips, and tape.
- Post classroom information, i.e. name, room number, grades and classes taught.
- Develop seating chart.
- Review lesson plans and obtain all necessary supplies, including any technology, and test it prior to the day of your lesson.
- Prepare materials for students to take home the first day, such as emergency information cards, schedules, etc.
- Check books out of the school or public library if you’ll be reading to your students.
The Big Day
- Arrive early.
- Greet students at the door.
- Help students prepare nametags.
- Review and explain rules and procedures.
- Discuss class or individual goals and expectations.
- Congratulate yourself on a job well done!